Jen Hall (Flannery)
Before taking up her post at the Fifty/50 Academy, Jen had trained at a few other area Jiu-Jitsu gyms, but moved over to train under Ryan Hall full-time in 2008 and has seen her technical skills and competitive abilities expand exponentially as a result. After years of dedicated practice and world travel for competition against the best female grapplers there are to hone her skills, Jen was promoted to black belt by Ryan on October 14, 2014.
As an thirteen-time international medalist (including a Pan American championship gold, a No-Gi World championship gold, 5 medals from the gi World Championship, and 2 from the Brazilian National Championship), Jen knows what it takes to train and win at a high level in the world of women’s Jiu-Jitsu. A dedicated student and passionate, detailed instructor, Jen believes that all women should train BJJ because it is the only martial art that truly gives them the tools they need to reliably overcome a larger, stronger attacker.
When she’s not teaching, Jen continues to train hard everyday to improve her skills and prepare for local, regional, and international-level competitions. In addition to her credentials as a grappler, Jen is a former head coach for the JV field hockey team Yorktown High School (Arlington, VA), holds a brown belt in Tae Kwon Do, and is a professional swim coach who has guided the early careers of multiple current world-level competitors. Jen has overcome a series of major surgeries to accomplish what she has in Jiu-Jitsu, demonstrating incredible mental strength and resiliency that she strives to transfer into anyone she coaches.
Some Of Jen’s Competitive Highlights
- 4x IBJJF Mundial Medalist
- 2x IBJJF/CBJJ Brasiliero Medalist
- 4x IBJJF New York Open Champion
- 2014 IBJJF No-Gi Mundial Champion (Brown Belt Light Feather)
- 2011 IBJJF No-Gi Mundial Silver (Purple Belt Light Feather)
- 2010 IBJJF No-Gi Pan American Silver (Purple Belt Light Feather)
- 2010 Gracie Nationals Absolute Champion (Purple Belt Open Weight)
- 2009 IBJJF Pan American Champion (Blue Belt Light Feather)
- Multiple Time Maryland Open Judo Champion
Follow Jen live on her blog: BJJ Cailin