Black Belt under 2-time world champion Felipe Costa and professional Mixed Martial Arts fighter representing Tristar Gym, Ryan Hall is one of the most competitively successful American-born Jiu-Jitsu players to date and is widely regarded as one of the best lightweight submission grapplers in the world.
Ryan is an IBJJF Mundial (world), No-Gi Mundial, and European champion and medalist at the CBJJ Brazilian National (Brasiliero) championship, but is best known for his accomplishments on the world level of no-gi submission wrestling competition where he has faced and defeated some of the sport’s greatest champions. Ryan has been invited three times to compete in the ultra-prestigious Abu Dhabi Submission Fighting World Championship where he is one of only a handful of non-Brazilian competitors in the history of the event to have come home with a medal.
In addition to his competitive exploits, Ryan is a world-renowned instructor and coach, highly sought after for expert seminars all over the world. Fifty/50 Academy students have won titles at the local, regional, national, and international levels as they rise rapidly through the ranks under Ryan’s guidance.
He has released five sets of best-selling instructional DVDs [click here to order] that have garnered wide acclaim for both their technical content and the clarity of Ryan’s teaching method. Additionally, Ryan is the author of “How To Master The Triangle Choke,” the definitive resource for training information regarding this signature technique of Jiu-Jitsu.
When Ryan isn’t training for elite-level competition or learning from other world-class athletes from around the United States and the globe, he can often be found instructing Jiu-Jitsu and Combatives workshops for the United States military, helping to prepare our soldiers for any unarmed situation they may face while in the field.
At the Fifty/50 Jiu-Jitsu Academy, Ryan strives to create an intense, yet laid back environment that combines humor and hard work to bring out the best in each student.
A brief summary of Ryan’s accomplishments:
- Over 300 victories in competition (over 275 via submission)
- Over 200 victories in competition via triangle choke
- 2011 UFC Fan Expo Toronto 4-Man Superfight Tournament Champion
- 2011 Abu Dhabi World Championship Invitee
- 2011 World Profesional Jiu-Jitsu Championship Qualifier
- 2010 UFC Fan Expo Boston Superfight Champion
- 2009 Abu Dhabi World Championship <65.9kg Bronze Medalist
- 2009 Abu Dhabi North American West Coast Trials Professional <65.9kg Champion
- 2007 Abu Dhabi World Championship Alternate Match Champion
- 2009 IBJJF Mundial Bronze Medalist (brown)
- 2008 IBJJF Mundial Champion (purple)
- 2008 IBJJF European Champion (purple)
- 2008 CBJJ Brasiliero Bronze Medalist (purple)
- 2007 IBJJF No-Gi Mundial Champion (purple)
- 2006 US Open Champion (purple)
- 15x Professional Superfight Champion (NAGA, Grapplers Quest, NeverTap, US Grappling, et al)
A few websites of interest:
A Few of Ryan’s Matches: